Vietnamese Savory Mini Pancakes, known as “Bánh Khọt,” are one of the unique dishes from the Western region of Vietnam and are now popular in many places. To make these pancakes truly delightful, it’s important not only to prepare the perfect batter but also the appropriate dipping fish sauce. However, not everyone knows the secret to creating a tasty and delicious fish sauce that perfectly complements Vietnamese Savory Mini Pancakes. If you’re planning to treat your family to this dish over the weekend, here’s a handy guide to crafting an irresistibly delicious fish sauce:
Dipping sauce for Vietnamese Savory Mini Pancakes wants a delectable fish sauce to accompany.
Gather the Ingredients
To prepare an authentic Western Vietnamese-style dipping fish sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Premium Hoàng Gia fish sauce: 5 – 6 teaspoons
- white sugar: 3 – 4 teaspoons
- Carrot: 1 piece
- Garlic: 1 bulb
- Red chili peppers: 2 – 3 peppers
- Lime: 2 – 3 limes, depending on your family’s preference for sourness
- Rice vinegar: 100ml
- Green or slightly ripe papaya, with a suitable firmness: 200g
- White radish: 1 piece
- Boiled and cooled water: 100ml
- Other seasonings: MSG, salt, etc.
These ingredient quantities are suitable for making dipping fish sauce for a family of 4 – 6 people. You can adjust the measurements according to the number of people and your family’s taste preferences.
How to make Dipping Fish Sauce for Vietnamese Savory Mini Pancakes
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
– For the papaya, cut off both ends to release some of the sap. Wash the papaya thoroughly with clean water, cut it into 4 or 6 sections, then peel. Submerge the papaya slices in diluted saltwater, allowing them to soak for about 20 minutes before removing. This step helps maintain the papaya’s color and crispness.
– Peel and thinly slice or cut the carrot and white radish.
– Peel the garlic and finely chop it.
– Remove the stems and seeds from the chili peppers, then slice or finely chop them.
– Cut the lime in half, remove the seeds, and squeeze out the juice.
Step 2: Prepare the Accompanying Pickled Vegetables and Fish Sauce
– For the papaya, cut or slice it into thin pieces or shape it as desired; the size should be suitable for eating (while slicing or shaping, you can soak the papaya slices in ice water to maintain their crispness). When you’re close to serving, take them out and let them drain.
– Similarly, prepare the carrot and white radish by slicing them thinly or shaping them for aesthetic appeal.
– Place the papaya, carrot, and white radish in a large bowl. Add the vinegar and gently mix. Squeeze the mixture slightly, then rinse with filtered water and allow it to drain.
– In a separate small bowl, combine sugar, salt, vinegar, and a little MSG. Stir until everything is dissolved and well mixed.
– Add the prepared mixture to the bowl with the papaya, carrot, and white radish. Mix well and let it sit for 20 – 30 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the Fish Sauce
– Combine sugar, first press fish sauce, lime juice, boiled then cooled water in a bowl. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Taste and adjust the fish sauce, sugar, lime, and water proportions according to your preference.
– Heat the mixture gently on the stove until it’s lukewarm, then remove it from heat.
– Add the chopped garlic and chili peppers, and gently stir to complete the fish sauce.
When serving, you can dip the pickled vegetables into the fish sauce or serve them together with vegetables. The white radish in the pickled vegetables can be included or omitted based on your family’s preferences.
For a truly delicious experience with Vietnamese Savory Mini Pancakes, you should use Hoang Gia fish sauce. Hoang Gia fish sauce will help you savor the fullest flavor of the dish. This dipping fish sauce recipe not only complements Vietnamese Savory Mini Pancakes but also works well with other Vietnamese dishes. Feel free to use it creatively in your cooking recipes.